A small plaque on the front of the hall indicates that the building was established in 1923. It is assumed that it was specifically built to house the Whitfield and Edge Hill Progress Association. Progress Associations were commonly formed to provide a united voice for local residents to voice their concerns or aspirations, and launch campaigns—sometimes in opposition to the policies, actions or inaction of local councils. It is believed that Australia's first progress association was established in Ballarat in 1904. The building was also taken over for military use during World War II.