The Grand Hotel
Places of Significance - Cairns Regional Council

In February 1943, the Grand Hotel changed its name to Talbot House when it became a hostel for servicemen in Cairns, organised by Toc H in cooperation with the army authorities. The hostel acted as a transit and leave hostel for all Allied servicemen, including the Merchant Navy, who were on leave or passing through the city to and from battle stations. Toc H conducted similar ventures in Australian capital cities, but this was the first in Far North Queensland. The hostel provided accommodation and three meals a day for seventy-five servicemen. 

 

Image Gallery