A notice in the Cairns Post of 1917 indicated that Thomas Bryce would commence business in a premises occupied by B McCarthy (presumably Norman Street). The existing stores were constructed in 1928 to the designs of Hill & Taylor architects of Cairns and consisted of a drapery, hardware and general store. Bryce's closed in 1985. The buildings were probably constructed as three symmetrically arranged buildings in 1928 with the two-storey shop and residence as the central building. The Bryce building at No. 56 Norman Street was completed at a later date.