The first mail service in Cairns started in January 1877 when packer John Grimes ran mail to the Hodgkinson goldfields. However, the road through Stratford to Thornborough was difficult and the service was soon relocated to Port Douglas. Once the railway was built, a regular mail service was established and the mail was brought out each day on the railmotor.
The mail was dropped on the north side of the railway where it was sorted by Mrs Chimes, the station-mistress. Later Mrs Killoran took over and then in the 1920s, Ethel Johnstone. In 1931 the position of station-mistress was withdrawn and a single-roomed Post Office built here next to Bob Clacherty's house.
Although the mail arrived here each day, there was no delivery to the 30 or 40 houses in Stratford. On hearing the railmotor arrive from Cairns around 7:00am the children would ride their push-bikes down to the Post Office and Mrs Clacherty would stand on the top step and call out the names. Anyone who wasn't present when their name was called would have to wait until the end when everyone else had collected their mail.
For more information click here