The Mountain View Hotel is of local historic significance as the first (and only) hotel to be established on the newly completed Gillies Highway from Gordonvale to the top of the Range. The hotel took advantage of the one way system established. The narrowness of the roadway and the lack of passing points meant cars and their passengers often had to wait at the bottom (or top) for their chance to ascend (or descend) the range according to set times. Those arriving late could be enticed to lunch or dine at the hotel while they waited for their turn on the road. Tolls were collected on the road until 1945 and the one way system was still in place until the late 1950s when the road was finally widened. The building is of importance for providing services to the burgeoning tourist trade.