The Meringa Sugar Experiment Station (SES) is located on the east side of the Bruce Highway about 1km north of Meringa, and 2km north of the town of Gordonvale. It has been an important part of the Queensland sugar industry since 1917, first as an Entomological Station, researching insect pests, and from the 1930s as a sugar cane breeding facility. In 1935 the Meringa SES bred the first cane toads released in Queensland, and from 1945 experiments with the insecticide benzene hexachloride (BHC) at Meringa were successful in controlling the sugar cane pest, the greyback grub. The Meringa SES is now operated by Sugar Research Australia. Older buildings of cultural heritage significance include: the former Entomologist's residence (1917), a corrugated iron implement and tractor shed (c.1935), a glasshouse (1957, a 1962 brick office and laboratory building, and a 1969 two-storey brick office building. More recent buildings of heritage significance include the crossing facility (1977-80) and the photoperiod facility (1986-2008).
Queensland Government: Queensland Heritage Register. (2016). Meringa sugar experiment station.
Retrieved from: https://environment.ehp.qld.gov.au/heritage-register/detail/?id=602835