This building was constructed in 1911 as new premises for Fearnley and Company on the former site of J G Fearnley's business. Jack and Newell were North Queensland merchants who ran their business on the adjacent site, and purchased the building in 1939. The building now carries their name and was owned by them until the 1970s. A residential tower was constructed by the Hedley Group on the site in 2003 retaining the original facade.
This building forms a part of the Cairns Esplanade Heritage Walk trail which can be found here.