The Freshwater Hotel stood on this corner from 1956-2006. The original Freshwater Hotel stood on the other side of the railway line behind the Pony Club. The park in that vicinity is named after publican and politician Bunny Adair who ran the hotel with his wife Gladys. Ravaged by a cyclone in 1927 the hotel was rebuilt, only to succumb to a fire in 1942. A temporary bar was immediately constructed, but it wasn't until 1956 that a new Freshwater Hotel was built across the railway line on this site.