A committee was established in 1920 to erect a hospital in Gordonvale 'to the memory of those who gave the supreme sacrifice in the war.' The Soldiers Memorial Hospital was subsequently opened by the Governor General in 1926 with the unveiling of memorial entrance gates. The initial hospital comprised three buildings connected by covered ways–a general ward block, a maternity ward and a nurses quarters. None of these three original buildings or the memorial entrance gates are still in existence. The Morgue was formerly the Gordonvale Police Morgue built by the Department of Public Works in 1915. It was relocated to its current site at the hospital in 1926.