The town of Edmonton was first called Hambledon Junction, because of its proximity to the Hambledon plantation and mill. The property known as Hambledon was established in 1881 by Thomas H. Swallow. It eventually expanded to a 6000 acre plantation; mainly sugarcane, but also bananas, pineapples and citrus. The town's name was changed to Edmonton in 1911. The Grafton Hotel was built in 1910 by the McLeod family with its opening in October 1910. The hotel was apparently referred to as the 'bottom pub', and it is possible that the nearby Hambledon Hotel across Stokes Street was the 'top pub'. The Grafton Hotel was damaged by a cyclone in 1927, but later repaired.