When the original cemetery on the Esplanade was considered to no longer be usable and the McLeod Street site that was chosen considered to be too close to houses and the Cairns water supply, the Queensland Government exercised 40 acres in Stratford to become the new Cairns Cemetery in 1886. However, the reserve was not surveyed until 1890, by which time the McLeod Street Cemetery was in regular use and so the Stratford Cemetery was never used.
Suicide Bend was named after a bend in the narrow bush track to Cairns that was widened and improved when the railways was constructed but the rocky spur had yet to be removed. This bend was much too severe as it skirted around the base of the hillside. Many cars and motorbikes took the bend too fast, so it became known as Suicide Bend.
For more information click here