This site was previously occupied by the School of Arts (timber) building on land set aside as a School of Arts Reserve in 1900. The Arts Reserve was two roads in size but some of this land was subsequently given over to other facilities – the Qld Country Women's Association on the south side and at first a tennis court on the west. The tennis court was subsequently replaced by the Community Hall funded from the Community Chest (a subsidiary arrangement of Council). The timber Arts building predated the reserve gazettal. In the 1960s the School of Arts building was demolished and a new library constructed in brick with timber detailing. As built, the structure allowed for further expansion and as seen today the library has filled out the expansion areas and on the street façade has gone beyond the original's façade adding a new rearrangement on the street face.