The building is the former Masonic Hall from Gordon Street, originally located opposite the Mill. This was most likely the Gordonvale Highleigh Masonic Lodge No 343, which was constituted and consecrated in 1926. The building was sold after the new Swan Street Masonic Hall opened in 1961 and it subsequently moved to its current site on the Racecourse and Showground Reserve of 1914. The first meeting of the Girl Guides Association of Australia Incorporated was held in Melbourne in 1926. The formation of this national body came over a decade after the first guides group was formed in Tasmania, the Girl Peace Scouts. Other states quickly followed and by the time a national body was established, all states in Australia had guides groups. The Association celebrated their seventy-fifth birthday in 1985 and at that time had approximately 100,000 members.