The Gordonvale cenotaph was relocated to its present position in the late 1960s from the intersection of Cannon and Norman Streets and is actively used on commemoration days. Construction was by North Queensland stonemasons Melrose and Fenwick in 1924 using the classic pose of a Digger bowed over a reversed rifle. The cenotaph is correctly painted white to reflect the universality of the military. A chain that once linked the base posts was removed after 1994. A naval anchor has been added at the foot of the column. It was taken from HMAS Wewak and dedicated to all sailors who were killed in action, to victory in the Pacific and other conflicts. A Second World War 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft gun is mounted to the south of the cenotaph and commemorates servicemen and women in Korea, Malaya, Borneo (1948-1966) and Vietnam (1962-1973).