The City Ambulance Transport Brigade (CATB) was formed at a meeting of concerned citizens in Brisbane in September 1892, following the unsatisfactory management of an accident at a horse racing meeting. It was established that the principal object of the Brigade was to render first aid to the wounded and transport the sick and injured to hospital. Public use of the ambulance service steadily increased and voluntary subscriptions proved insufficient to meet associated outlays. In 1895, the CATB secured supplementary funding from the Queensland State Government. The first purpose-built ambulance building for Queensland was constructed in 1897 in Wharf Street, Brisbane.