Built in 1899 supplying gas which was piped underground to street lights and commercial and domestic users. The gas was made from coal. In 1964 the plant was replaced by an LPG reforming plant for bottled gas. Note the remains of the large holding tank for the gas. On the 17th August 1987 there was a massive explosion and was the only serious accident to ever occur.