The West Cairns Ratepayers Association was formed in 1946 by George Metcalfe, George Manning, Bill Selkirk, Bill Woods and Ed Cole. Regular meetings were held and the group raised funds to purchase land in Miles Street, including a small hut which had been the residence of a Mr Davis or Davies. The initial fundraising activities included bingo nights. Once the land and hut were purchased, the existing building served as a meeting place, storage area and kitchen for various functions. These functions included the continuing bingo nights and carnivals, which were held outside under a flood light and fairy lights. The continuing fundraising activities funded the construction of the current hall, which was most likely completed in the late 1950s and was built by members of the West Cairns Ratepayers Association. It was intended that the building would function as a picture theatre, as well as a community hall. Regular dances and some wedding receptions were held in the hall when it was completed. The building also acted a child welfare clinic, a childminding centre/kindergarten, a church and polling booth. Until 2001, Miss Patsy Fry taught ballet at the hall.