The present Crown Hotel replaced an earlier hotel of the same name in 1929. The original building was two-storeys and featured a double-storey veranda similar to the present building. It was built in the circa 1890s, but was destroyed by a fire in 1928. At the time of the fire, the hotel's owner was the estate of P.J. Doyle and the licensee was William Sperring. In the 1920s it was known as Hanneysee's Crown Hotel. In November 1928, the architect S.S. Oxenham invited tenders for the reconstruction of the hotel.