The Central Hotel was constructed in 1909 for Cairns businessman William John Martin. The building incorporated the old Bank of North Queensland building, which was constructed in 1890. The building was designed by Tunbridge and Lynch and then subsequently erected by W Phillips.
The Central's exterior at the second level is still in its original form, with wide timber verandas and a decorative iron lace balustrade.
This building also forms a part of the Cairns CBD Heritage Walk trail which can be found here.