In 1925 a group of local business people established the Cairns Brewing Company which went into liquidation soon afterwards. A new company, Northern Australian Brewers took over in the late 1920s. The beer was popular with Far North Queenslanders and at times, the brewery employed up to 300 people. It was the first brewery to lift rationing restrictions after World War II. It closed in 1992. Note the mural which depicts the working of a brewery and is the first and largest single piece of public artwork in Cairns.