This hall was built in the late 1930s. Mrs Boyd held dances twice a week which were well attended, not only by locals but also by soldiers stationed at the staging camp in Redlynch during World War II. Movies were shown once a week and wedding receptions and parties were held here as well. William Smart would play the accordion and Lance Bottrell played the saxophone. Refreshments were served by Mrs Boyd's daughter, Rosie, in the little cafe at the front of the hall.
The hall was damaged in March 1956 by Cyclone Agnes. Ned Diamond re-opened the hall as a Picture Theatre in July 1958. Initially movies were only shown on a Saturday night, but the venue was popular and soon Ned was showing movies four nights a week. People watched the latest releases sitting in canvas deck-chairs.
For more information click here