In 1912/1913 a multi-storey, department store was erected by prominent Cairns businessman Michael Boland. At the time it was conspicuous among otherwise low-set timbre buildings and the first 3 storey building in Cairns. Undoubtedly it was because of this that the Last Post was played from the top of the building on the first ANZAC Day: 25 April 1916.
The Boland Centre was designed by architect Edward Gregory Waters and constructed by JT Bullock and was retained as a department store for many years with renovations in 1929 and extensions in 1936/37. The title to the building transferred to David Jones in 1979 who continued to operate a department store from that site until they relocated the business to Earlville in 1984. The heritage listed building was subsequently sold and remodelled for a variety of serviced offices and shops.
This building also forms a part of the Cairns ANZAC Trail which can be found here.