In 1882 William Walter Mason was the first person in this area to take up land on the north side of the river. He paid £20 for 160 acres which he called Acacia Bank. Mason grew maize, rice, potatoes, bananas and oranges and leased part of his land to Chinese farmers. The first house he built was close to the river bank a few hundred metres upstream. It was made from split mangrove logs with ti-tree bark for the roof. The homestead survived several floods but burnt down in 1898. Mason built a new house further back from the river.
For more information click here