The building replaced the Nelson Hall after it was burnt down in April 1929. As a result of building regulations the building (like the adjacent hotel) had to be built in reinforced concrete. The works to the hotel started in the 1930s and it was anticipated that the hall would be rebuilt not long after, but a newspaper article identifying its completion has not been found. The building's central entry and flanking façade shops indicate that the rebirth of the Hall may have occurred but later alterations have removed the interior for squash courts. The date of conversion to courts is unknown.