The building appears to have been built as two shops in the 1920s. They were built by George Blessa and were known as Blessa's Shops. In the 1921 edition of Pugh's Almanac, G. Blessa's was listed under 'Confectioners, Fruiterers, Refreshment Rooms etc.' in Cairns. The building was owned by the Blessa family for many years. The site is shown vacant in circa 1920 and circa 1924 photographs of Shields Street, which show that the neighbouring shops at 52-62 Shields Street existed at this time and therefore predate Blessa's shops.