The building was constructed around 1927 when Moynahan, the chemist, moved from Lake Street to Abbott Street. Moynahan operated from this address for a number of years and appears to have had the monopoly on Kodak photographic products. He used his shop window for projecting lantern slide shows to demonstrate photographic products.
The building appears to have been specially constructed for Moynahan. In the 1950s the building was occupied by Ling and Tovey Chemists. Signage in a photograph taken in 1986 shows that Arthur Tovey was still a resident chemist within the building at that time.